Georg Tappert (1880-1957). German Artist
George Tappert (b. in Berlin) started his formal artistic training in 1901 at the Karlsruhe Academy and worked as an assistant to Paul Shultze-Naumburg. In 1905 he helped found the Art School in Worpswede. In 1910, Tappert co-founded the School for Visual and Applied Arts in Berlin and the Neue Sezession (with Pechstein and others). In 1912 Tappert started teaching in Berlin. He was drafted into the infantry during the First World War where he served until 1918. In 1919, Tappert resumed teaching in Berlin at the Reimann School and the United State Schools for Fine and Applied Arts. In 1933, while teaching at the United State Schools, Tappert was dragged from his class by Nazi students who demanded his dismissal. He was reinstated the same year. In 1937 Tappert’s works are removed from public collections in Germany. After the destruction by bombing of his Berlin studio in 1944, Tappert decided to stop painting.